Re: Is Sid for broken stuff? Is it too much to ask for testing the packages?

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 14:20:26 +0100, Marek Habersack wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 12:10:05AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman scribbled:
> [snip]
> > By the way, your suggestion:
> >
> > > if you remove a file which you aren't sure whether
> > > it exists or not, it is nice to do
> > >
> > > rm -f /path/to/file || true
> > >
> > > instead of
> > >
> > > rm -f /path/to/file"
> >
> > is silly; the entire purpose of the '-f' option to rm is to ignore errors.
> By the way: the reason I wrote the above in such a form is simple - it was
> it is my habit to use -f in cases where I'm not sure whether the file
> exists. And this is the kind of habit I'd like all the maintainers to
> develop.

I'd prefer you to drop that habit in this particular case, since when
/path/to/file happens to denote a directory (sysadmin may have created
it), your script happily continues possibly doing further harm, while
the second version (assuming -e) aborts.

Thanks
  Siggy