Re: What should go into "How Software Producers can distribute their products directly in .deb format"?

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 02:38, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 10:29:38PM +0100, Aaron Isotton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > (sorry for the overlong subject).
> >
> > I originally sent this to debian-doc but I got no answers, so I
> > thought I'd post it here too.
>
> Because debian-doc was busy discussing other things and your proposed
> document had not much negatives to flame about :)  If it is long
> detailed HOWTO, it deserves to be a separate document.  If it is short
> pointers and references, maybe you can add it to "debian Reference".

Disagree. I understand that the document should be for
jonny-random-company who just wants to make his (proprietary) Software
available to as many Linux users as possible and so he looks for a quick
way to create .debs. I doubt these people don't want to look into the
Debian Reference (because they don't care for Debian), they want a
self-contained HOWTO (yes, some duplication would probably be
necessary).

Of course, it comes down to the question if 'Debian' wants this or not.
I'd be in favor of such a document - although probably many Debian
developers won't use such software, many users may want to. And having
Debian on the list of supported distributions always sounds fine. (Even
if they write Debian and really mean only Debian i386). Visibility
doesn't hurt here.

cheers
-- vbi

--