Re: private debian pools

Hi

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:36:58PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> I have a set of scripts for creating private debian package pools,
> available at:
>
> <URL:http://www.microcomaustralia.com.au/debian/bin2/>.

Interesting.

> These scripts will allow you to create and maintain a private archive
> with multiple distributions, architectures, etc. No database is
> required. See
>
> <URL:http://www.microcomaustralia.com.au/debian/> for a sample.
>
> If somebody wants to help tidy up this code and package it for Debian, I
> will be willing to maintain the Debian package for Debian.

If you do not mind I can help you and you can help me to improve
the debarchiver package. I would be happy to include your scripts there.

The package pool thing is what I miss in debarchiver. I also miss
the nice daemon feature from mini-dinstall (which I did not know
of until today).

I can give you cvs access to my machine or move debarchiver code to
cvs.debian.org if you like.

> This probably will involve going through the README file and fixing the
> things I have labeled "FIXME" (most of these should be simple to
> fix, not sure about the bugs in rmfiles yet though).
>
> If you want to do any work on it, please let me know simply so I can
> tell you if I have made any changes (as I do more testing if I find any
> bugs I may simply fix them without warning).
>
> If anyone else is interested, cvs.debian.org might be a good idea, too...
>
> A name is required (bin2 doesn't suit IMHO!).
>
> Design note:
>
> I have tried to make all scripts as simple as possible (except
> dpkg-scan* which are hacked versions of the Debian programs).

This is something I have been thinking about for some time now... :)

> Everything uses dsc.pm in order to read the *.changes file, to ensure
> that the programs remain small.
What is dsc.pm ? A description reader, you learn something everyday.

> dpkg-scanpackages and dpkg-scansources have been hacked to take a file
> with a list of packages as a parameter.

Cool.

> dpkg-scanudebs does the same thing as dpkg-scanpackages but for udebs.

Cool too.

> Ideally the original versions of these packages should support the
> functionality required, so these hacked versions wouldn't be required.

That sounds like a good thing.

Regards,

// Ola