Re: guaranteed non-interactive installation and upgrades

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:06:19AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> the sollution is not to use other packages, it is fixing the packages.

> > But no one has shown any interest in fixing exim.
> [...]

> Hello,
> The packaging of Exim's new major version (v4) will use debconf, the
> preliminary test packages already do.

> Because the configuration file format has changed in a fundamental
> way, the configuration cannot be converted automatically[1] and Exim
> v4 comes as new packages (exim4-base+exim4-daemon-something) and not
> as upgrade for Exim v3.
>                    cu andreas
> [1] convert4r4 can try but: "The output file MUST be checked and
> tested before trying to use it on a live system. The conversion script
> is just an aid which does a lot of the "grunt work". It does not
> guarantee to produce an Exim 4 configuration that behaves exactly the
> same as the Exim 3 configuration it reads."

Perhaps the best path here would be to run convert4r4 on upgrade, and
then invoke the debconf questions afterwards to allow appropriate
customization and let the user know it should be checked over?  This is
probably only possible if exim4 is presented as a proper upgrade to exim
v3 instead of a separate package, however.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer