Re: guaranteed non-interactive installation and upgrades

Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 14:23, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:44:31PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>> > And we could fix the exim issue by switching to Postfix as the default
>> > MTA...
>> the sollution is not to use other packages, it is fixing the packages.

> But no one has shown any interest in fixing exim.

The packaging of Exim's new major version (v4) will use debconf, the
preliminary test packages already do.

Because the configuration file format has changed in a fundamental
way, the configuration cannot be converted automatically[1] and Exim
v4 comes as new packages (exim4-base+exim4-daemon-something) and not
as upgrade for Exim v3.
                   cu andreas
[1] convert4r4 can try but: "The output file MUST be checked and
tested before trying to use it on a live system. The conversion script
is just an aid which does a lot of the "grunt work". It does not
guarantee to produce an Exim 4 configuration that behaves exactly the
same as the Exim 3 configuration it reads."