Re: guaranteed non-interactive installation and upgrades

Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 14:23, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:44:31PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>> > And we could fix the exim issue by switching to Postfix as the default
>> > MTA...
>>
>> the sollution is not to use other packages, it is fixing the packages.

> But no one has shown any interest in fixing exim.
[...]

Hello,
The packaging of Exim's new major version (v4) will use debconf, the
preliminary test packages already do.

Because the configuration file format has changed in a fundamental
way, the configuration cannot be converted automatically[1] and Exim
v4 comes as new packages (exim4-base+exim4-daemon-something) and not
as upgrade for Exim v3.
                   cu andreas
[1] convert4r4 can try but: "The output file MUST be checked and
tested before trying to use it on a live system. The conversion script
is just an aid which does a lot of the "grunt work". It does not
guarantee to produce an Exim 4 configuration that behaves exactly the
same as the Exim 3 configuration it reads."