Re: description writing guide

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 08:05:43PM -0500, Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> was heard to say:
> >   On an unrelated topic, it would be nice if the description format
> > allowed whitespace to be collapsed/expanded on wordwrapped lines.  The last
> > time I checked, it seemed to at least imply that whitespace was sancrosact,
> > and I found several packages that relied on this in their description.
> > (sorry, I don't remember which)
>
> I think this is hard to without switching to a format which allows us to
> include more metadata (like XML).  So we can explicitly use stuff like
> <ul> and <li> for lists, instead of relying on ASCII renderings.  That
> way we can safely word-wrap the description, instead of just treating it
> as the equivalent of <pre>.

  Descriptions are already word-wrapped (or at least they should be, not
every frontend does).  You can get preformatted lines (eg, for bulleted
lists) by adding an extra space character at the start of the line in
question.

  On the other hand, a proper markup language would be nice.

  Daniel

|          Somewhere, just out of sight, the unicorns are gathering.          |