Re: Fwd: Please confirm your message

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:20:47AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:48:14AM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> > see if you still don't have a problem. Or try giving the server a local (to
> > it) address after MAIL FROM: the server should complain unless you're on a
> > network which it considers to be local.
>
> Tried that with both qmail and postfix, and it still accepts it.
>
> (ie. telnet to remote server, entered "MAIL FROM: $remoteaddress",
>      and the server still accepts it even though it considers it a
>      local address).

This is the correct behavior.  I don't know what Darren is talking about but
I've never seen a mail server that refused to accept e-mails with a local
envelope sender from remote hosts.  It should be obvious why this wouldn't
be a good idea.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>