Re: Fwd: Please confirm your message

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 08:43:06PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> When you have a very small number of people doing something totally contrary
> to what everyone else on the Internet is doing, and expecting that everyone
> else should go out of their way to accomodate them, then you don't need to do
> any research into who they are.

See it that way: The problem of spam unfortunately is not solved, yet.
There are several approaches to limit the amount of spam, and none of
them is perfect. So, some research is necessary to find better ways of
limiting spam.

And the best way to evaluate some spam filter is to use it. Of course,
that may annoy people, and these people should speak up (because that
adds important information to the evaluation process - a spam filtering
scheme which annoys people too much will not work in the long run). But
please don't take it personal.

> It is not suitable for individual email addresses.

Time will tell. I fear that some day, the only way to use email
productively is to block all email with invalid sender adresses. And I
don't know a way do valdiate a (not yet known) address but to try it
and send a reply.
If you combine that with some autoresponders on both ends, no human
interaction would be needed, so annoyance should go down.

Jan