Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00:19AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> I might argue, in the case of APIs, that it is more a case of "If you don't
> have time to do it right, how will you ever have time to do it over" - it
> becomes *very* hard to un-entrench bad API choices, a lot of the time.

You might argue, yes. You could, alternatively, stop talking about it,
and provide Tollef with patches instead.

So far, the question isn't whether there'll be time to do it right now
or to redesign it later, the question's whether it'll be possible to do
it at all.

> However, in contrast to the above, it sounds like you have things split out
> enough that hopefully it won't come back to bite anyone later, too hard.

If you're going to debate with the d-i project lead, at least have the
courtesy to check out the sources from CVS and try some installs and so
forth first so you have _some_ clue what you're talking about, rather
than trying to reduce everything to abstracts and platonic ideals.

Cheers,
a "there are more things in debian-boot CVS, Horatio..." j