Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:20:40PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
In practice, I find that once such assumptions creep in, it can be very,
very hard to remove them without yanking out a lot of entrails to go with.

Which is the price to be paid for using a different kernel. An
installer, by its nature, is going to be kernel dependent. It also needs
to be small and maintainable. I don't think it's imediately obvious that
coming up with a kernel-independent hardware detector and module loader
(for example) is worth the trouble. If you want to write one, great--but
don't impose that as a requirement on others.

Mike Stone