Re: [desktop] foomatic-gui is born

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 19:42, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> After about 10 hours of me pulling my hair out due to the complete and
> utter lack of documentation for GNOME2 and its Python bindings, I have
> produced "foomatic-gui".

Nifty.  I tried to make-go it, but I got:

walters@space-ghost> ./foomatic-gui
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./foomatic-gui", line 23, in ?
    import gtk.glade, gobject, gnome, bonobo.ui, gnome.ui, pango
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0/bonobo/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
    import activation
ImportError: No module named activation

I suspected that the activation module was in the bonobo-python package,
but bonobo-python seems to be for GNOME 1, since apt says:

root@space-ghost> apt-get install bonobo-python
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libeel-data libeel0 python-gdk-imlib python-gnome python-gtk python-orbit python2.2-orbit
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  meld python-gnome2 python-orbit2 python-orbit2-dev python2.2-gnome2 python2.2-orbit2
  bonobo-python libeel-data libeel0 python-gdk-imlib python-gnome python-gtk python-orbit python2.2-orbit
0 packages upgraded, 8 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 1263kB of archives. After unpacking 3838kB will be used.

And I'm not really willing to lose meld :)

> There's nothing inherently Debian-specific about it, although the
> detect.py module is probably a bit Linux-centric.

BTW, would it make sense to have this be part of the GNOME System Tools?