Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:41:45PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> Something is seriously wrong, if a single bug that affects a single
> arch can stop everyone else from forward. We need a way to get packages
> that are broken on some platform into the distrubution while the
> developers of the arch sort out the problem. Not the way it is happening
> currently, that everyone has to wait the platform to fix itself before
> updated packages get into distribution.

That brings up a whole different set of problems, none of which are any
easier to fix.  For example: We would then basically have a separate,
potentially out of sync, testing distribution for each platform.  If a
package is allowed to move in to testing on e.g. i386 without the same
package moving to testing on one of the other platforms, then the
archive will blow up to unmanagable size.  Keeping things coordinated
would be really difficult, and we'd probably end up slowing the release
cycle even further.

noah