Re: Why do system users have shells?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:24:54PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 04:34:52PM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > But there are programs that don't use su -s. E.g., custom logins
> > (non-anonymous) from wu-ftpd will fail if the login shell is set to
> > /bin/false.
>
> Why do you want to use FTP with a system user?
[snip]

I don't. I'm just using FTP as an example because once I wanted to use
wu-ftpd's chroot login feature, and so I created a (normal) user for it.
But since there is no need to login as this user using a normal shell, I
set the shell to /bin/false, which didn't work (wu-ftpd couldn't login).

Now that somebody mentioned it -- will /bin/true work, or is that a
wishlist feature?

Let's not fight disease by killing the patient. -- Sean 'Shaleh' Perry