Re: Why do system users have shells?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:53:22PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:39, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:10:44PM -0700, James Hamilton wrote:
> > > I'm curious why system users such as  bin, sys, and  nobody have /bin/sh
> > > as a shell instead of a noshell program or /bin/false.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Possibly because otherwise, you cannot run any shell scripts as that user.
> > (This may also apply to more than shell scripts, but I'm not sure about
> > that.)
>
> sudo, start-stop-daemon, su -s
>
> Why can't people read man pages before replying?
[snip]

But there are programs that don't use su -s. E.g., custom logins
(non-anonymous) from wu-ftpd will fail if the login shell is set to
/bin/false. This, of course, is probably a bug, but I suspect a lot of
things will break if (some) system users have no shell.

WINDOWS = Will Install Needless Data On Whole System -- CompuMan