Re: Why do system users have shells?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:10:44PM -0700, James Hamilton wrote:
> I'm curious why system users such as  bin, sys, and  nobody have /bin/sh
> as a shell instead of a noshell program or /bin/false.
[snip]

Possibly because otherwise, you cannot run any shell scripts as that user.
(This may also apply to more than shell scripts, but I'm not sure about
that.)

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will
eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the
Internet, we know this is not true. -- Robert Wilensk