Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

hi,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 04:05:51PM -0500, Matthew C. Tedder wrote:
> I'm contemplating switching to Gentoo for the following reasons:
> -  Compiles source very trouble free from almost any tgz on the web

sources in debian's repository also compile fine w/o problems,
where is the point?

> -  Seems VERY up-to-date

Debian is as well, but honestly, Debian has more points to take
care of to have a good consistent distribution. for instance, X
takes a while to run/compile cleanly on the dozen or so archs.

> -  More friendly to newcomers (in my opinion)

In how far is it friendlier to newcomers? because it has some
colored intros? you can't say their installation is userfriendly
... otherwise Debian would rock in this respect ...

> -  Not likely to switch to Hurd some day

Elaborate a bit more. Debian isn't switching to the Hurd, if you
mean that. Debian can be run on Linux, the Hurd and in the future
on some of the BSDs if you mean that.

> -  Not so close to GNU as Debian is, so can get fair take on:
>   -  ReiserFS
>   -  KDE

Please elaborate a bit more. I can't see clearly what you are
refereing to. Do you mean about the social aspects Debian has a
stance on? Like licensing and what is free (DFSG), etc.?

> -  Not really a distrobution--more like a centralized source repository

If it's just a centarlized source rep. it won't get a thorough
integration testing so that everything works flawlessly and
technologies are incorporated which are used by all of the parts
of the distribution, etc. pp.

> -  Seems like a more simplified system altogether..

In how far?

so long
Othmar