Re: NF Compromise - Alternatives Nagging + planned removal date warning

* Anthony Towns

| On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 03:56:21PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > * Anthony Towns
| > | Do you realise what that means? It means: I want everyone to end up with
| > | the same system.
| > Actually not.  [...]
| > This will be possible in d-i, by choosing that you only want to see
| > questions with high or critical priority.
|
| However everyone that does this will end up with the same system.

Yup, that's what we call base.

| Whereas ideally, what you want is a way of easily including non-free,
| or setting up a wiki server, or otherwise indicating that you want some
| common variant of a Debian system without an undue amount of effort.

Base will still be the same, or are you talking about making base more
flexible as well?

| > And if that's not enough, customizing a floppy
| > set with even more predefined answers shouldn't be that hard.
|
| That's possible, and it's what Knoppix and PGI and so forth are
| effectively doing. It doesn't really benefit the people who grab a
| Debian CD, or poke through the Debian website, and want to install
| Debian, though.

Nothing is stopping us from doing what they do -- say -desktop want
their own custom installer: go ahead, do that.  d-i is a framework
where -boot provides a set of building block which is (or will be)
roughly equivalent to what b-f provides, initially.  I hope others
will build on and extend the framework.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-