Ye Olde optimization/mirror disk space debate

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 10:03:40AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Roberto Suarez Soto <robe@alfa21.com> writes:
>
> > On Nov/21, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> >
> > > Current cost of hard disk is something between $1.00 and $1.50 per
> > > gigabyte.
> >
> > 	I may be wrong, but I assume you're talking IDE here. And, IMHO, IDE
> > disks are not the best thing for a medium/high traffic server.
>
> A 120 GB ATA-100 IBM disk costs $162 at googlegear.
>
> The 180 GB model is more pricey, since it's the current top of the
> line, and will cost you $288.  That's $1.60 per GB.

The raw cost of a single new disk does not apply, in any direct way, to
expanding the storage capacity of a server.

Say I have 6 36GB disks which cost me $100 apiece (USD600 / 216GB USD2.78
per gigabyte).  Naturally, I put them in a RAID-5 array, for 180GB usable
space.  Now we're at $3.33/GB, not counting filesystem overhead.  This is a
realistic server configuration, not the pricewatch.com 180GB special for
storing Vorbis streams at home.

"Just drop in a cheap IDE disk" is not a realistic solution for this
application.

--
 - mdz