Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:26:37AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > >  Steve> Then perhaps it would help if there were some commonly
> > >  Steve> agreed-upon, objective criteria used to determine when a
> > >  Steve> package is ready for unstable as opposed to experimental?
> > >  Steve> (Projected number of RC bugs, optimal duration of transition
> > >  Steve> period, size of userbase...)  This could at least help users
> > >  Steve> know what they're getting -- both in terms of how broken
> > >  Steve> unstable might be, and how out-of-date testing might be.

> > > 	This is very hard, if not impossible, to determine a
> > >  priori. Unless someone hands me a crystall ball ;-)

> > I'm not suggesting that this would be perfect, but right now, any
> > inabilities to predict how stable a new package will be are compounded by
> > the wide range of criteria developers use in deciding when to upload.
> > Guidelines ought to at least give more consistent results.

> I agree completely.

> Yes, please use experemental more than it is now.  It needs some publicity
> on the web site, and in DWN whenever a package suitable for it is placed
> there.

Note that "more consistent" does not necessarily imply "more stable"; I
imagine that, based on your experiences with Samba of late, you're
already aware that I'm less conservative than many in deciding when to
upload to unstable. ;)  It's precisely because I'm left-of-center that I
think we should try to reach a consensus on this issue:  I've gotten a
fair amount of flak for the Samba 3.0 upload, not because it's too
unstable for unstable, but because it's too unstable for stable and
therefore can't be promoted to testing.  Maybe it was a good decision,
maybe it wasn't -- but it's impossible to judge objectively when everyone
has different expectations of what unstable is and what testing is.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer