Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:34:20PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 20-Nov-02, 13:31 (CST), Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> wrote:
> > If the package is compatible (this is the majority case) with its
> > dependancies from unstable and testing then you can test to see if it is
> > this package or some library it depends on.  libc6 is a perfect example.  To
> > test xvncviewer I had to install the libc6 from unstable, and vnc just
> > doesn't HAVE to depend on libc6 2.3.x, it could have just as easily depended
> > on libc6 2.2.5 in testing.  If it did, then it could be in testing now.
>
> And then when libc6 2.3.x dropped into testing, and broke xvncviewer, it
> would be broken in testing as well as unstable. Yes, I understand that
> it can still happen with packages that haven't yet been built with libc6
> 2.3.x, but I don't see how increasing the problem helps.

No, libc6 didn't break vnc at all AFAICT, but it is the act of having to
upgrade my libc6 just to test vnc, and the fact that now that vnc doesn't
have any RC bugs, it is not in testing ONLY because it depends libc6 2.3.x.

That is the point.

Right now, I'm working with some experemental kernel patches, so I don't
want to have to worry too much about userspace.  IE, that doesn't mean that
I don't want the newer VNC in testing, because I do especially since it
doesn't have any RC bugs.

If anyone is feeling pressure to go faster it is the libc6 maintainers.  And
with a couple changes (using experemental more), they wouldn't be in this
situation...