>>"Thomas" == Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

 Thomas> I refer you to the work of Brian Skyrms, on the evolution of the
 Thomas> social contract, in which he shows that there are sensible
 Thomas> evolutionary models in which human-style social altruism is the right
 Thomas> evolutionary strategy.

	We have had social systems where altruism as a social
 evolutionary strategy has been for under 20 millennia; we have had
 biological evolution sculpting inherent responses ever since the
 primordial soup.

	I stand by my assertion that human nature being the way it is,
 true altruism, al la mother Teresa, is a marvelously rare
 occurrence.

	manoj
--
 I believe a little incompatibility is the spice of life, particularly
 if he has income and she is pattable. Ogden Nash