Hi,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 10:36:28AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  Emile> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 02:18:16PM +0000, Steven Fuerst wrote:
>
>  >> The debian project has to realise it has users and upstream maintainers
>  >> as well as the people who create packages.  Your GR totally ignores this
>  >> fact.
>
>  Emile> Amen. We've /got/ to realise that serving the users is in the end the
>  Emile> only goal.
>
> 	Actually, I reject this premise. I am most certainly not in
>  this for altruistic reasons; I would never have lasted this long, or
>  worked so hard, for that.
>
> 	Debian is geared to provide *ME* with a system I can
>  use. ME. ME. Helping like minded people is a bonus; other users are
>  just a happy happenstance.

That's fine.

> 	I am interested in creating the best. most useful
>  distribution of Linux; since I need one; I scratch my itch, and in
>  collaboration with other people scratching theirs, we have a halfway
>  decent system. These other people are important to me, and it is
>  important to me that the Debian system fulfill their needs, and
>  requirements, so they continue to work to improve the machines I use
>  for work and pleasure.

Same here.

> 	End users are rarely on my radar. Collaborative users, who
>  help improve my software, and my system, and make things better all
>  around, by finding bugs, making suggestions, providing patches --
>  them I'll nurture, again, from purely selfish, niggardly, ulterior
>  motives.

Perhaps, but are you really always so sure of your motives? You'd be an
exception with such unfaltering introspective abilities.

> 	I always suspect people who claim to be operating from
>  selfless, pure, altruistic reasons; since that goes against human
>  nature; and not many people are that altruistic. Even when they are,
>  they are mere dilletantes, and rarely have the staying power that I
>  need from the vendor providing my machines OS.

I think there's no conflict between helping yourself and helping users.
To paraphrase a bad advertising slogan: we're users too.

"Serving the users" also encompasses the more selfish motives if you're
a user yourself.

Cheers,

Emile.

--