Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:59:56AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > Specifically which non-free packages don't have DFSG-compliant
> > replacements?  I thought one of the major reasons for bringing this GR
> > up again was that there are no longer any really important non-free
> > packages.
>
> xpdf-japanese
> cmap-adobe-japan1
> cmap-adobe-japan2
> cmap-adobe-korea1
> cmap-adobe-gb1
> cmap-adobe-cns1

My question is: how did Japenese users make it with Debian prior to the
introduction of these packages?  Couldn't they continue using whatever
methods worked then?

According to the descriptions of the cmap files, they are only useful for
TrueType fonts.  Given that TrueType isn't exactly the default or preferred
format for PostScript, why is this such a critical problem?

-- John