Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:52:15PM -0500, Benoit Peccatte <benoit.peccatte@webmotion.com> was heard to say:
> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 13:30, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 07:02:26PM +0100, Emil Pedersen wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >   And when you're really bored, you compile something from scratch, it's
> > > not like it's impossible just because you don't kneed to...
> > [snip]
> >
> > And Debian makes this really easy too: apt-get source xxx ; ./configure
> > --own-preferred-options ; dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -m$self ; su -c
> > 'dpkg --install xxx.deb'. Ahh, where would we be without apt. :-)
>
> Cool, now give me a way to do this automatically, that takes care
> of build dependencies and let me define options in a configuration
> file. Then gentoo users may be happy with debian.

  This supposedly works, but don't blame me if it doesn't 'cos I didn't
write it and I don't use it :)

Package: apt-src
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 112
Maintainer: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.19
Depends: libapt-pkg-perl (>= 0.1.6), dpkg-dev, apt, perl (>= 5.6.0-16)
Recommends: sudo, fakeroot, build-essential
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-src/apt-src_0.19_all.deb
Size: 22212
MD5sum: d95931cafe83e7e6550ae8bc6d343b6f
 apt-src is a command line interface for downloading, installing, upgrading,
 and tracking Debian source packages. It makes source package management
 feel a lot like using apt to manage binary packages, and is being used as
 a testbed to work on adding source dependencies to Debian.
 .
 It can be run as a normal user, or as root. If you want a convenient way to
 track updates to packages while preserving your local modifications, this is
 a way to do that.

  Daniel

|                 He was the kind of man who can use                          |
|                 the word "personnel" and mean it.                           |
|                  -- Terry Pratchett, _The Light Fantastic_                  |