Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:26:54PM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:41:19PM -0500, Mark Mealman wrote:
> > But Debian's bleeding edge really tends to lag. What's KDE up to on
> > testing, version 2.2? Mozilla is 1.0? Java's at 1.1? It takes a lot of time
> > for developers to gather the sources, compile binaries across all of
> > Debian's supported platforms and make sure they play nice with other
> > packages.
> >
> > Debian has always lagged behind other distributions as a desktop platform.
>
> Well, depends on what you mean by "desktop". I use Debian on my home
> desktop all the time, and other than the odd package that requires
> hand-compilation, it's pretty good for me. But then again, I'm one of
> those hardcore VTWM users who despises KDE/GNOME, so perhaps I'm not
> qualified to speak on this point.
>
> [snip]

I have to admit, I sure would love to have gnome2. Last time I tried
to install my machine, the upgrade scripts failed miserably, and it
was a few hours before I had a working system again.

To quote from the gentoo intro:

"(glibc-2.2.5, gcc 3.2, XFS, ReiserFS, ext3, EVMS, LVM, ALSA,
pcmcia-cs support, ... KDE 3.0 and 3.1_beta and GNOME 2.0.2"

I sure those things appeal to a lot of users more than optimized
binaries that they can build themselves.

to quote from their page again:

"Xfree86 4.2, OpenGL"

Obviously we have these things also, but it seems that gentoo is more
marketing savvy in touting their own horn. Maybe we should have some
sort of "feature list" that is updated peridocally for testing and
unstable, since debian is really more than one dist. A lot of people
say "if you want X, use testing", but new users or people who've never
used linux before have no idea thats the case.

michael

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson