Re: are we there yet? Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

    Joey> Has this thread reached the point where all participagtors
    Joey> have made up their minds and are going round and round in
    Joey> circles yet? Maybe it's time to table it until we can vote
    Joey> on the proposal. Or maybe we should stop repeating the same
    Joey> tired discussions and hear from anyone who has not made up
    Joey> his or her mind: What information are you lacking to decide?

In all the discussion about removing non-free, one other area has been
ignored, namely what happens should this GR *not* pass.  As the SUN
JDK maintainer, I have both non-free packages (jdk1.1) and very
non-free packages (j2se*, not even in the archive right now).  If this
GR not passing means I will continue to have to endure these packages
being treated like second-class citizens (e.g. being ignored in
queue/new for > six months etc), then I'd rather cut my losses and
trash non-free.

I am also concerned about the final status of contrib.  John has
repeatedly said, and I believe him, that he's not trying to have
contrib removed.  However, contrib packages are also treated as second
class citizens (e.g. promotion to testing etc).  Will this continue as
well?

Lastly, should this GR *not* pass, do its proponents intend to raise
this issue again in six months, twleve months, ever, or will the abide
by the majority decision?

--
Stephen

"Sixty percent of all Americans say they flew the flag after Sept. 11,
2001.  Last week, less than 40 percent of registered voters cast
ballots.  Americans who wrap themselves in patriotic colors, yet can't
be bothered to exercise the most fundamental right and responsibility
in a democracy, betray the country they claim to love."
 -- Christina Hulbe, Letters to the Editor, The Orgeonian, 10
 Nov. 2002