Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

Message from Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com> on Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:22:40
-0500:
> good way to accomplish those results.  Let the unbelievers walk with
> you and hopefully convert them along the path.

Ah good, bringing religion into the debate.  It was already here anyway,
just unspoken.  Nothing more fun than a good religious debate.

The cabal has prepared this top secret outline of the rest of the debate.
Keep it a secret, or it might give the opposition an unfair advantage.  Of
course there is no cabal.

I believe I fairly characterize our opposition, by saying they would
rewrite that as, "The sword will convert the non-free unbelievers, or it
will chop their inodes off."  That phrase (or both phrases put together)
might even be a good addition to a signature or fortune file.

As the debate descends, the next step after that, will be the comparison
between "aborting" non-free out of the Debian womb (although a fetal
non-free .deb is "not really" officially a part of Debian, so that makes it
all OK to do) vs the "pro-choice" crew, that wants to let a package's
mother continue to choose what to do with our webserver's body.

Now, I see you all rolling your eyes, but the best is yet to come.

Finally, someone will end the debate in true usenet style, by invoking
"Godwin's Law" in opposition to the "final solution" as it applies to the
non-free "undesirables".

We've got a couple weeks left to "debate" and as a group we've got several
person-decades worth of experience at flamewars, so this is a fairly
realistic outline of the "road ahead".