Re: are we there yet? Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> b. Providing enough of said benefits to upstreams that they have little
>    incentive to change thier license to receive even more.
While I would vote for keeping non-free under control of BTS and thus
for keeping it on our mirror I would regard the following as a good
idea:

   If the decision is made that we remove non-free we should
   definitely write some text which maintainers of non-free and
   contrib packages could send to authors of

      a) upstream authors of non-free to tell them the reason
         why Debian stops supporting their software in the usual
         way.  (Perhaps some of them could be convinced.  I tried
         several times but perhaps my arguments were not strong
         enough.)

      b) upstream authors of contrib software to let them try
         to find free alternatives or let them bother non-free
         authors from another side than we do with a).

Kind regards

         Andreas.