Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

Hi,

While testing new versions of xvncviewer, because it depended on libc6 2.3.1
I had to upgrade that package on my testing box also.

It seems like (after talking to the vnc maintainer) it is an automatic
function of the build tools to use the new version of libc6.

Once the VNC packages have fixed all of the release critical bugs, it will
be held back from testing because of the dependancy on the newer libc6 in
unstable.  This is an unneeded skew in the two dists available.  Just think
all that will happen once libc6 2.3 makes it into sarge.  There will be many
problems found and it will be that much harder to track it down because of
all of the new packages installed in a small period of time (from the sarge
dist's point of view).

Is this part of the Debian policy (sorry, I haven't read it)?  If it is
maybe that should be changed, or maybe it's there because of something I
haven't realized.  If so, please let me know what it is.

Thanks,

Mike