Re: Discussion - cosmetic archive change

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:22:34AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> >
> > I didn't say I agreed with it.  I'm simply trying to figure out what
> > the "GR-opposition party" stands for.
>
> i do stand for preventing unnecessary harm and dismay to our users.
>
> the propositions of no longer asking about non-free/contrib at install
> time are excellent. the sample sources.list installed can have a small
> blurb saying
>
> # The non-free and contrib sections are not a part of the Debian OS.
> # If you wish to activate these non-Debian portions, uncomment the
> # following lines:
>
> or some other verbage, that preferably removes the negative words
> (people can easily skip over the words not and non-).
>
> the propositions of actually changing the name of contrib and non-free
> to more descriptive not-a-part-of-the-OS are good (these can cause a bit
> of dismay to the users when the next release no longer has contrib and
> non-free, and they wonder why their sources.list just broke)

Only if this stops this flame war, I will be happy with this solution
as a person who opposes, or I should say, who is asking to vote it down
if GR happens.

But, Clint Adams' comment on similar thread:

> > Yes, non-free --> unofficial is a good suggestion.
> Sounds like bureaucratic doublespeak to me.

is so true.  I understand he is for this GR and very skeptical on the
meaning of such a cosmetic changes.  I can not blame him for his common
sense.

I really doubts GR proponents will buy this cosmetic change as the
remedy since they are here for their principle.  Unless they are happy
with this type of solution and ready to withdraw proposed GR, not much
to discuss any further.

As for removing question about contrib and non-free from installer
questions (currently default answers set to NO), if these GR proponents
ask this with the same eager, nobody will bother to oppose, I suppose.
They can have it from next woody update if they wish.

The only negative will be lots of people complaining and asking in
debian-user.  That's not pretty but something I can live with.

> i do stand for preventing the unnecessary harm and dismay to our users.
> i speak for myself, and those that like what i say.

This is so true.  If your suggestion makes GR proponent happy and
withdraw GR, it is worthy thing.  But is it?  If new URL of these
archives are changed every few months just to annoy users, that is not
what I would like to see.
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract