Re: free alternative to povray?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:56:47AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:33:04PM +0100, Andreas Bombe wrote:
> > > Try blender. The version in debian is not yet free, but a new
> > > completely gpl version has been released. I guess it'll come to
> > > debian main when it's ready.

On Blender, there has been some talk about new packaging efforts, and there is a
3rd-party deb around, but I wouldn't mind getting more serious with it.
Blender from the cvs01 repository is very close to compiling out of the
box, I'm comfy enough with the build system to get it working fast.
Next to the old NaN build system there is work being done on a
autoconf/automake version (again, there is a 3rd party effort where it
does build from scratch, but this isn't in cvs (yet?)).

> > The POV-Ray team intends to change to a free license as soon as they do
> > a complete rewrite, though.  They are stuck with the current mess since
> > they don't know/can't contact the original authors of many parts anymore.
> >
> > From what I know Blender isn't a complete replacement since it isn't a
> > full raytracer.  Which means that it can't render real reflections, for
> > one thing.

The renderers in blender itself aren't raytracers, you can export to
an external format, and there is work being done to call an external
renderer directly.

> In this case, can you render Blender scenes with povray?

Yes, you can, but imho the point of povray is the way you "model",
writing scripts.

Wouter van Heyst