Re: free alternative to povray?

Jason Stechschulte <stech@ypisco.com> writes:

> The recent ongoing discussion on the removal of non-free software has made
> me wonder if there is a decent alternative for povray.  I was just
> beginning to learn povray, so now would be a good time to switch to a
> new program if one exists.

Try blender. The version in debian is not yet free, but a new
completely gpl version has been released. I guess it'll come to
debian main when it's ready.

Blender is a complete package, with modeler and renderer.

> On a side note, as a debian user and not a debian developer, I don't see
> what the big deal is about removing non-free.  So what if the user has
> to download the .deb from somewhere else, or dare I say, build it
> themselves?  Sure it makes it a little more complicated, but not that
> much.

The real problem is that those packages would loose all the other
stuff debian provides : policy, BTS,... But let's not fork the main
thread :-)

Cheers,
--
Rémi