Re: Ask yourself some questions

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:19:25AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> I should simply stop using misleading pronomina:
> "No, but I and probably Rémi too read Branden's remark as: Even if
> we remove the package from non-free, the old locally installed copies
> of these packages will still be available. In this context *Rémi's*
> remark makes sense. ..."
>
> I might think "the old packages work well enough" but in reality
> there might be some bad bug in them that I've just failed to notice yet
> because I as simple user have not taken over the maintainer's role and
> do not read upstream's BTS.

But we can't provide any guarantees that this won't happen anyway, even
with *maintained* non-free packages, because the licensing may not
permit it, or no source code may be available.

That we can fix bad bugs in one non-free package is cold comfort to
those who are affected by bad bugs in non-free packages we *can't* fix.

We, do, on the other hand, go to a great deal of effort to ensure that
Debian main is free of "bad bugs".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    There is no housing shortage in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Lincoln today -- just a rumor that