Re: Not just a dpkg/run-parts problem

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:18:27PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> Afaict /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ is managed run-parts /like/ by
>> /etc/X11/Xsession. Another example might be /sbin/update-modules (I
>> don't know what "certain classes of files"). How about /etc/devfs/*.d and
>> /etc/logrotate.d/?

> I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

> Can you or someone else raise this issue on debian-x so that I and the
> rest of the X Strike Force know what to be concerned about, and what to
> do?

Hello,
I'll try to sum it up /here/, as this calls for discussion and not for
implementation.

LSB specifies /etc/cron.{d,daily,weekly}/ but has different ideas what
filenames are valid. run-parts simply ignores anything not matching
'^[A-Za-z0-9_-]*$', but LSB uses periods in the filenames. (e.g
debian.org-exim), so we have to change the regex. We want to ignore
*~, *.dpkg-* *.orig, ...

Debian uses the semantics "run/evaluate anything in foo.d"
extensively, not only in run-parts, but for example also in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/ or in /etc/modutils/ and /etc/logrotate.d/ Some
of these use the same regex as run-parts to detect invalid filenames
(Xsession) some don't.

Fixing the bug *requires* /probably/ only changing the regex used by
run-parts, because the others are Debianisms not touched by LSB. But
do we want that? Isn't this a good time to specify explicitly what
files should be ignored, instead of "If you use foo.d-semantics take a
look at the files run-parts ignores, you might want to follow suit."
See Steve's mail for ideas how to implement this goal.
                   cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_