Re: Flame burning against non-free, time to think.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 07:44:57PM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Your ideological and ethically "good" may damage some other users.  Let
> the non-free die peacefully.

Can you define "damage", please?

Also, what evidence is there that non-free will "die", given that it's
been growing by two distinct metrics?[1]

> If package prohibit user to patch, it may be a real problem.  This is
> more of technical issues which makes maintainers not be able to fix bugs.

...and this restriction is true of several packages in non-free.  Should
they stay or should they go?

If they should go, where is your proposed amendment to John's GR to make
this a reality?

> If it only prohibit distributor to offer binary or patched source, it is
> non-free but may deserve Debian space as long as someone takes care to
> offer clean installer. ( a la pine-tracker)

Such a thing could go into contrib, and would not be affected by John's
GR at all.

> Many Free for non-commercials from old days should happily live in
> non-free.  (Quite likely, you will not be sued for commercial use.)

I feel it is irresponsible to stake our fortunes on the likelihood of
getting sued, if we're violating the license on a piece of software, or
causing the operators of our mirror network to do so.

Note that this issue is completely irrelevant to non-freeness, since it
is possible to violate the license on a piece of DFSG-free software.

> Also, as for FPGA source code or DSP/sub-CPU firmware binary, if it
> exists,  I would say they should be allowed as a DATA for free software
> as long as it is legal to distribute them in most countries.

What do we do about the countries where it isn't?

[1] Message-ID: <[🔎] 20021114103645.GA943@kleinmann.com>

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Good judgement comes from
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     experience; experience comes from