On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:53:23AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Anyway, one thing will definitely be the case: if this GR passes, testing
> won't support non-free, which means updates to software in main that
> break non-free software won't be held back, which will probably make
> life difficult occassionally. It might also make contrib a lot harder to
> manage if it's kept, since dependencies on non-free components (which
> is what contrib is for after all) will never be satisfiable as far as
> testing's concerned, and those packages will never be promoted to testing.

This changes the discussion radically. People have been saying that
users who want to use non free software on debian can, they just have
to download it somewhere. Since testing will no longer be testing
non-free software, we won't know about a change to one of our core
components until a user tries a testing (or a stable) version of
debian with their piece of non-free software and tells us that its
broken. So, in effect, we could possibly lose all users who need any
non-free software, because someone who needs non-free in order to use
their machine[1] won't wait around until we've fixed the software that
their software depends on.

Of course, this also changes the discussion to "let's remove non-free
and contrib" even though things in contrib are free, by the definition
of contrib. This in effect reduces the likelihood that people will
want to develop free alternatives for the software that their contrib
software depends on.

i.e. limewire[2] depends on Java2. Since limewire is in contrib, maybe
debian users of limewire will be more inclined to work on a free Java2
replacement.

Also, some people have said in this thread that we should "help our
users kick the habit" of using non-free software. I don't think that
is an attitude which promotes freedom. I don't want to help/force anyone
kick any habits.

[1] As in the case of the blind person who said they need non-free
speech systhesis software
[2] I'm the maintainer of limewire

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson