Re: Free v's Open Source software

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:26:03PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:

>>One such OSI-approved license that I do not consider DFSG-compliant:

>>   <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/apsl.php>

>>vs.

>>   <http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200109/msg00097.html>

> I can see the disagreements to the APSL and I personally don't like that
> one all that well but this thread is not really a definitive answer or a
> legal opinion either.

If you want a legal opinion, retain a lawyer.  Neither the OSI nor the
debian-legal mailing list is presenting itself as a legal counsel, and
the DFSG is not a legal document, so legal opinions aren't any more
relevant anyway; and the only one you're likely to get out of a competent
lawyer is that yes, licenses that have been certified as Open Source by
the OSI are entitled to use the certification mark Open Source.

The opinions of the debian-legal mailing list and ftpmaster are the
definitive answer as far as package entry into the main archive is
concerned.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer