Free v's Open Source software

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:43:12 -0600
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:

> More important is the very first statement in our Social Contract:
> "Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software".

I expect that what we define as being "non-free" software is much more
acceptable to Open Source people than to Free Software people.

If that statemnt holds true then we are debating "Free software" v's "Open
Source Software", and how much (if any) tolerance debian should have to
Open Source software that isnt Free Software.

It comes down to how pragmatic a person is as to how they value Free v's
Open Source Software, some people are prepared to sacrifice a little
freedom to have some luxuries today. Its a personal decision.

I dont see how the current debian community can come to satisfying
resolution on this issue, maybe it would be better for us all we split
the distribution into two components, a Free Software component that
satisfies Free Software people, and an Open Source component that adds the
extra stuff that isnt acceptable to Free Software people.

That way everybody can be happy standing on their side of the fence,
knowing they arent going to be dragged over to the other side :)

Glenn