John Goerzen writes:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:19:52PM -0600, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

>> Speaking as a non-DD user, I've heard this from the zealots until I
>> *must* reply (or burst):

>> I y'all are so concerned about this distinction, why did you remove the
>> non-free section listing from:
>>
>> http://packages.debian.org/stable/

> Excuse me, but just what exactly is removed?  I go to that page, and click
> on, say, X Window system software, and I see several non-free packages
> listed, each helpfully denoted non-free with a red "non-free" indicator.

As a mere user (and occasional "upstream author") it seems to me that
if fighting confusion about what is and isn't in debian is your
concern, one thing that could be done is to extend these markers: both
"contrib" and "non-free" are worth pointing out.

Random thought of the day: instead of splitting the packages into
main, contrib, non-free, it would have been better to have debian,
contrib, and non-free.  Or perhaps non-dfsg instead of non-free, to
stress the particular definition of "free" that's involved.

--
Olaf Weber