On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:19:52PM -0600, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> Speaking as a non-DD user, I've heard this from the zealots until I
> *must* reply (or burst):

> I y'all are so concerned about this distinction, why did you remove the
> non-free section listing from:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/

Excuse me, but just what exactly is removed?  I go to that page, and click
on, say, X Window system software, and I see several non-free packages
listed, each helpfully denoted non-free with a red "non-free" indicator.

> I *never* have been confused in all my years of using Debian, but the
> last round of zealotry removed one place you could easily point to for a
> list of all the offenders.  (Yes, I know there are other sources).

> Seems like the concern is more with hiding something than making
> something clear.

Care to offer up any evidence to back up your assertions?  I have never been
a frequent user of packages.debian.org, and certainly was not part of any
discussion to change it, but it seems odd to me that you would accuse
zealots of hiding information when it is plainly visible.

> I use no non-free software on my Debian systems, so I don't care if you
> take away non-free or not, but the hand-waving and sophistry from the
> advocates of removal don't give me a lot of confidence that they're
> interested in the users' welfare.

I am an advocate for removal, yet I have had no part in any alleged
alteration to packages.debian.org.  You paint with strokes too broad.