Re: [RFH] The need for signed packages and signed Releases (long, long)

>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 Ian>  - Debian ends up becoming a CA.  Who will run this CA and
 Ian>    how will we maintain its security ?

       You do not have X509 certificates. You can merely sign the ar
components with gpg keys; and Debian distributes the keyring (one can
also get the current keyring from a well known place on the
network). Perhaps the kayring itself can have a detached signature;
this is not so much more work to set up.

 Ian>  - What about third-party packages ?  Do we end up being a CA
 Ian>    for third parties ?!

	I can try and get the third party gpg key into my local
 ketring with a decent web of trust; Debian need not be involved.

 Ian>  - What about revocation ?  And how do we reconcile revocation
 Ian>    with the need to do offline installs, and installs from very old
 Ian>    physical media ?

	If the key is revoked on the public/debian key servers, I'll know
 when I update the keyring

 Ian>  - How do we stop an attacker who has compromised some Developer's
 Ian>    machine from using that Developer's key to get a trojan widely
 Ian>    installed ?

	There is no such thing as absolute security.

	This mechanism improves the security by narrowing the threat
 cases; and gives us a chance to put into place a process that would
 be better security than now.

	Do not let perfect get in the way of better.

	manoj
--
 One of the disadvantages of having children is that they eventually
 get old enough to give you presents they make at school. Robert Byrne