This one time, at band camp, Jim Penny said:
> Wow, an actual testable hypothesis.  Is non-free growing relative to
> main?  Is it growing absolutely?  Could we have some numbers on how non-free
> has changed across the years?
>
> My own impression is that it is actually getting smaller, both
> relatively, and probably absolutely.
>
> If so, it is my opinion that this acrimonious debate is not worth
> the electrons used to illuminate it.
>

> Jim Penny

FWIW:

Potato:
steve:~$ zgrep 'Package: ' Sources.gz | wc -l
    220

Woody:
steve:~$ zgrep 'Package: ' Sources.gz | wc -l
    208

Sid (updated 11/13):
steve:~$ grep 'Package: '
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_non-free_source_Sources | wc -l
    233

This is just a quick grep of Sources.gz from the non-free tree.  I did
not yet check previous releases, but it doesn't appear at a glance to
have grown appreciably in several years.

Steve (who is not a d-d)
|Stephen Gran                  | And the silence came surging softly           |
|steve@lobefin.net             | backwards When the plunging hooves were       |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | gone...   -- Walter de La Mare, "The          |
|                              | Listeners"                                    |