On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:34:30PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > [...]
> > The question seems to be about _fixing_ bugs, not _closing_ them.
>
> Then I'm confused.  I can think of only 3 factors that influence this.
>
> 1) the work has to be licensed in a way that we can modify it to fix a
>    bug (not necessarily true for stuff in non-free)

non-free software is exactly the issue at hand.  If non-free software does
not allow us to do things like modify and autobuild it, which are necessary
in order to fix bugs, then how do we fix bugs in a non-free package?  We
don't, because we can't.  The GR would change this situation for the subset
of non-free which we can partially support.

For the record, this prospect (of being somewhat less able to support software
which is inherently crippled in terms of Debian's ability to support it)
does not bother me in the least.

--
 - mdz