Re: [desktop] Seeking Summit to Discuss X Display and Session Management

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 02:53:22PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>>  Hmm...  looking at the bug and the proposed patch, Osamu's problem
>>  seems to be that he wants to make a session-manager-less session the
>>  default on the system (that is, REALSTARTUP ends up being
>>  x-window-manager _even_ if x-session-manager exists).  Sounds a lot
>>  like local configuration policy being forced upon every Debian
>>  installation.
[...]
> Let's see what other folks say.

Hello,
I know that this works...

<   if [ -x /usr/bin/x-session-manager ]; then
<     REALSTARTUP=x-session-manager
<   elif [ -x /usr/bin/x-window-manager ]; then
---
>   if [ -x /usr/bin/x-window-manager ]; then
19a18,19
>   elif [ -x /usr/bin/x-session-manager ]; then
>     REALSTARTUP=x-session-manager

...and that /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50xfree86-common_determine-startup is
a conffile but nevertheless I think it could be nice to have an even
simpler solution for this commonly requested feature[1]; something
like prefer-x-windowmanager in /etc/X11/Xsession.options would be
nice.

BTW, what I am really missing is a possibility to set environment
variables as user (e.g. locales) for all Xsessions. ~/.xsession does
not do the trick, as it is (of course) ignored if I don't choose the
"default" session in $displaymanager that supports choosing the
windowmanager at the login screen.

           cu andreas
[1] But I really do not know if the user's who don't want to edit a
simple shell script would find this feature.
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_