Re: [desktop] Seeking Summit to Discuss X Display and Session Management

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 05:28:54AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

 > [Please mind the To/CC lines in your replies; debian-x sees mail sent
 > to the bugnumber.  I'm not subscribed to any of the lists in my CC
 > line.  Except for -devel, of course.]

 I blindly followed what M-F-T said.  Dunno if that was the intention.

 > However, since you're not the only person who is apparently
 > aggravated out of his mind with the current approach, perhaps the
 > best thing to do is to arrange a summit among all the package
 > maintainers of desktop evironments and display managers in Debian
 > (maybe a few window manager maintainers, too).

 Hmm...  looking at the bug and the proposed patch, Osamu's problem
 seems to be that he wants to make a session-manager-less session the
 default on the system (that is, REALSTARTUP ends up being
 x-window-manager _even_ if x-session-manager exists).  Sounds a lot
 like local configuration policy being forced upon every Debian
 installation.

 > I am annoyed that at least some of the other display managers (gdm,
 > kdm, wdm) do not use /etc/X11/Xsession by default, which leads to an
 > inconsistent user experience.

 Seconded.

 I am probably to blame for this.  Back when I was maintaining wdm I
 remember there was some silly thing regarding the list of window
 managers in the window manager selection box which was implemented by
 some hack in a copy of the default Xsession script.  Since then
 Xsession has been split in lots of little tiny bits (and that's A Good
 Thing(TM)).  I don't know what wdm is doing nowadays, but if it isn't
 using the default Xsession script for some reason, the problem should
 be fixed.

 > So, shall we all get together on IRC sometime and hash this out, so
 > that we can have something that everyone is happier with for the
 > sarge release?

 Just name an OPN channel and a date, and I'll see if I can make it
 there.  My network connection nowadays sucks, but I can try...

 Marcelo