Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:18:03AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I don't think so.  If Amstrad lost track of the source code to the ZX
> > Spectrum ROMs, then there are two possibilities:
> > 1) There is no preferred form for making changes, and there thus is no
> > source code.  [...]
> > 2) There are people willing to hack on the machine code, or disassemble
> > it and attempt to recreate a more traditional form of source code [...]
>
> Or (3), the only way *for anyone* to make changes to the work is to
> hack the ROMs in binary, thus as the only option, that has to be the
> preferred one.

But we know that (3) isn't true in this case.  It is possible for
machine code to be disassembled.  On the other hand, perhaps ZX Spectrum
freaks don't feel they need assembly, and like to just change the
opcodes with hex editors.

I think we need to see how the ROM actually ends up being modified in
practice before we can decide on the issue.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    screaming mob pounding on a greasy