Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 08:20:23PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> The fact that Debian maintainers volunteer to look after non-free software
> because it is of use to them, and/or to their users, makes it an effective
> part of Debian.  The rest is academic, semantics, or whatever you like to
> call it.

Nevertheless, the message that we have been sending with the distinction is
quite clear. Unlike some others, we acknowledge that there is a gray area of
software licensing that is neither free nor entirely incompatible with free.
We acknowledge that our users may need this, but we also make it clear that
we're only doing it because it's necessary, not because we like it.

It says a lot about Debian. To throw any of it away wouldn't seem wise to me.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.