SASL Chaos?

I've been trying to get SASL working - and i'm stuck.
Documentation is a chaos; the package has lots of open bugs;
openldap is sasl enabled, but doesn't contain a sasl config file;
the sasl config file seems to go to /usr/lib/sasl (WTF?)

Can someone give me some hints how to use LDAP+SASL (i'm annoyed of
giving LDAP the -x flag all the time... ;)

Thanks.

Gruss,
Erich Schubert
--
        erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
        A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.