Re: Debian versioning scheme (r1 vs .1)

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:47:10PM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:41:08AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > It's more likely because you weren't around on debian-boot@lists.d.o in
> > early 2001 when the decisions were made... (Shame on you!)
> Yes, this is another problem. Debian policy, Debian legal, boot-floppies and
> whatever there is more on important decision making mailng lists are not
> transparent to the debian developer who cant follow all of them. Thanks to
> Joey this will not be the case anymore.

While Joey's doing a superlative job, I think you're being a bit optimistic
on how much help it'll be:

	http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2000/41/
		   Anthony's main concern is that the new debian-installer
		   project is not ready yet, and the old boot floppies
		   need several months of work to be usable for woody.

	  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0012/msg00012.html
		   So I think the thing we probably need to focus first on
		   is getting some way to install woody directly. Which
		   means we need to decide whether we're going to keep
		   hammering away at debian-installer until it actually
		   becomes usable, or if we're going to bite the bullet
		   and just accept that we're going to use boot-floppies
		   again, not be able to improve them much and get
		   flamed for it in all the woody reviews too. If we
		   do go with boot-floppies for woody, I'd be strongly
		   inclined towards downplaying debian-installer so as
		   not to divide the testing effort and leave us with a
		   choice of two installation methods that both suck. To
		   get boot-floppies to work with woody at about the
		   same quality as potato's install, will likely take
		   a couple of months; to get debian-installer	to work
		   at a similar quality could take... four months? six?

	http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2001/6/
		The boot-floppies team needs help. Adam Di Carlo wrote
		in, asking for help on what may be the final revision of
		the boot floppies -- for woody -- before the upcoming
		debian-installer effort replaces them.	According to
		Adam, "a lot of the 'talent' have been sucked into
		debian-installer. I have pretty much no one helping me
		right now with boot-floppies maintenance." He included
		a list of tasks that need doing to get a usable set of
		boot floppies for woody, and concluded, "Please help
		me out. Otherwise, god knows when we'll be able to
		release woody!"

There's more to Debian than anyone can reasonably expect to stay
consistently on top of, IMO. Even just within the "core" bits.

Cheers,
aj