Re: [Internal Projects] Package browser (Was: Debian Color Themes, ...)

* Michael Vogt (mvogt@acm.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:57:58AM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > Em Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:43:47 -0400, marco trevisani <marco@centrotemporeale.it>
> > > So it makes much easier to keep an eye on what is installed and what not
> > > and...
> >
> > I think Synaptic's filter model is quite complex, though... I like the
> > new Gtk GUI, but I still think there're lots of room for improvement
> > in usability...
>
> I'm the current maintainer of synaptic, so I'm biased :)
>
> But please tell me what you don't like about the current synaptic
> interface. I'm open for suggestions!

Have you taken a look at stormpkg? There are things I like about it. But
I haven't done a deep down comparison between stormpkg and synaptic.
It's a bit of a shame that stormpkg is left out to dry. It actually dies
on me all the time now. The only thing I use it for is to take a look at
what packages have been updated.

I'd really like to see a feature that allowed me to view exactly all the
updated packages that I would need to install during an upate or
dist-upgrade. Combined with a function to show me which additional
packages I need to install to satisfy updates. Additionally a feature to
show me just all the new packages that have appeered since my last
update.

I'd also like to see a way to find out WHY a package(s) was kept back or
not installed/updated.

--
 .''`.      Carl B. Constantine
: :' :     duckwing@duckwing.ca